Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Panna Cotta

I got this recipe from my Wednesday morning walking friend, Tanya (who originally got it from Cathy Whims of Nostrana restaurant in Portland). It instantly became one of our favorites (because it's so easy and it has whipping cream in it) so I serve it often. Top with any kind of fresh fruit or even a dark chocolate sauce. I sometimes substitute 1 cup of the cream with one cup of coconut milk/cream of the same consistency.

2 cups whipping cream
2 cups Nancy's whole milk yogurt (I use lowfat)
1 cup sugar
4 sheets gelatin

Soak gelatin in cold water, as directed. Heat cream and sugar to simmer. Stir gelatin into cream/sugar, stir. Add to yogurt, stir. Pour into ramekins and chill. Unmold to serve.

NOTE: gelatin sheets are very difficult to find, even in a city the size of Portland so Tanya and I ordered a big supply off the internet. I have also substituted one envelope of granulated gelatin for the 4 sheets and it worked fine. You just dissolve the granuals in 2 Tbsp water, let sit a few minutes and then stir into cream/sugar.

This recipe is pretty fool-proof...once I poured the liquid mixture into the ramekins and then realized I had never added the sugar. I poured everything back into the pan, added the sugar, stirred to dissolve over low heat and put it back in the ramekins...it was fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment